Instructions for the second Human Influence Experiment:
Context: The World Urban Database and Access Portal Tools (WUDAPT) is a community initiative to collect worldwide data on urban form (i.e., morphology, materials) and function (i.e., use and metabolism). This is achieved through crowdsourcing, defined as the collection of data by a bounded crowd. In this process, training data for the classification of urban structures into Local Climate Zones (LCZ) are obtained, which are, like most volunteered geographic information initiatives, of unknown quality.
Aim: Investigate the quality of the crowd-sourced training data sets and its connection to personality, cultural/climatic backgrounds and LCZ knowledge.
City of interest: Berlin (Germany)
Duration of the exercise: approximately 6-8 hours.
Workflow: It is important for us to know how much time you spend on each iteration, so log your starting time. The second and third iteration will take much less time than the first iteration, so do not hesitate to take your time for the first iteration. If you see “Yes” after “Driver test”, please take your time, go through the test carefully and remember the number of test images you have done. In total there are 357 test images, but you do not need to do them all. It is only important to remember the number of test images you have classified. The driver’s test takes up some of your time but will save you time when you are digitising training areas, because you will have a better idea of what you should digitize. Please make sure to follow all steps indicated here for the remainder of the exercise:
A. Before Classification
- Read and watch all materials (obliged!)
- Retrieve your unique identifier (ID).
- Take the personality survey (5-10min) and driver’s test:
B. During classification
- Download all course material here
- Follow all the steps indicated in the slides:
- Digitize polygons in google earth (log your starting time)
- Save training areas including and excluding style place holder (PH)
- Classify city using the training areas (.kmz) excluding the style place holder
- Take the online survey after each iteration to upload the training files, raster map and answer 3 questions. Make sure to use your unique ID number of the file names.
- Repeat this three times